Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Eleven Year Old Child Left at School

Not every story about Justin which I hold in my heart is humorous. The following surreal occurrence left Justin's father and I terrified for our 11 year old son. 

We worked a lot but then again people with [A type] personalities tend to be 'work-a-holics'. On this particular beautiful North Carolina Spring day Justin's dad and I decided to leave work early; not for anything specific we were driving around town [our home city Salisbury, NC] talking, enjoying the weather and the beautiful flowers in bloom. 

Justin, as usual was at the YMCA; was at the after school program the 'Y' provided for working parents.  Every day the staff drove a van to the middle school, which Justin attended, and picked up any of the students enrolled and took them to the 'Y' until their parents came to pick up them up after work.

Around 5:45pm we headed toward the 'Y' to pick up Justin.  I decided to wait in the car while Justin's dad went in and signed him out. I could clearly see the front door of the 'Y' in my side view mirror waiting for a glimpse of Justin to come tearing out of the door; as eleven year old boys do!  I was peering into the side view mirror when suddenly Justin's dad came rushing out of the door, walking hurriedly walking with his hands in his pockets, looking down at the ground.  Instinctively I knew something was wrong and I shouted, "Where's Justin?"  Randy looked up, his pallor pale and shouted back, "THEY DON'T KNOW!" Oh my god; I froze in complete disbelief!  My heart began to pound so fast I thought it would leap from my chest.  Justin's dad jumped into the car and pulled away from the curb; I was frantically attempting to dial our home number on my cell phone but my hands were shaking so hard it took me six attempts to get through, no answer!  I forced myself to listen to our voice mail, no messages!  At this point I was on the verge of a breakdown and Justin's dad was so [out of it] I realized he was driving aimlessly not knowing where to go or where to go first?  I called the YMCA and tried desperately to stay calm; all I could say was "Where is my son?"  I learned then when the 'Y' van picked up the middle school students this day a female student told the driver Justin was not in school that day!  I screamed, "I always call you if he is out!" immediately hanging up! 

Justin's dad and I quickly decided to start from square one; we headed to the middle school first.  By this time my heart was pounding so hard I could hear it in my ears; I wanted to know where my son is, is he okay, is he scared?  I was truly beside myself as we turned down the road toward the school. As we rounded the last corner I caught a glimpse of Justin and my door was open and I hit the ground running before Justin's dad could stop the car. Justin began running toward me I grabbed him in my arms; I was so relieved to hold my son I couldn't stop hugging him. I dropped to my knees on the ground with Justin's face in my hands and said, "Are you okay baby?" Justin responded, "Yes mommie I'm okay now that you and daddy are here I am real fine."  I asked Justin what happened, how did he get left behind?  Justin responded, "Mommie when I came out to get in the van it wasn't here.  So I sat on the steps waiting but they never came; so I decided to do my homework. After I finished my homework I read a little while but when it started to get late I started to look around and I made a plan."  Startled by Justin's comment I asked, "What kind of plan honey?" Justin explained his plan, "Well, I decided if I was still here when it started to get dark I was going to hide in those bushes over there until daddy and you came to get me."  I am so proud that Justin stayed calm and did not wonder from the school grounds; I am horrified that the 'Y' staff were not more diligent in their duties.   They left Justin alone for three and a half hours!  Nor was I very comforted to learn the principal walked by Justin [not once] BUT twice yet he never stopped to ask Justin why he was STILL on school property.  Justin's dad and I hugged and hugged Justin we were so relieved he was safe and in our arms. We told him how proud we were that he stayed at the school so we could find him. We told him it was a good thing he did not wonder off but waited so patiently. 

As I typed this story [today] the same feelings I experienced on this day, so long ago, came rushing back so strongly. I miss you honey and I love you more than any words can express. Thank you for being in my life...thank you for being the person who helped me realize the value and worth of unconditional love my son and placing others before oneself~Justin Vance DeSha-Overcash May 1, 1988 ~ January 11, 2011...I remain your loving and devoted momma <3 span="">

No comments:

Post a Comment